Tuesday 26 May 2015

Almond and Raisin Tea Loaf - Recipe

Bonjour!

The other day I discovered a packet of (almost out of date) flaked almonds lurking at the back of the kitchen cupboard ... I also had a stray egg that was a couple of days old hanging about in the fridge ... good excuse as any to throw something together then ...


A picture of the Almond and Raisin Tea Loaf ingredients


6oz/180g Self Raising Flour
4oz/125g butter/marg
1 egg
3oz/80g sugar (I used Demerara)
1 1/2oz/40g raisins
1 1/2oz/40g flaked almonds
A few drops vanilla essence
4-5 tbsps milk (approx)

Nothing new here (there rarely is with my cooking!) - mix up the flour, butter, egg, sugar  and vanilla essence with the milk to give a good consistency (add more milk if you think the mixture is too stiff - I'm sorry ... I can't say the work 'stiff' without thinking 'mistress to bishop'!). Stir in the raisins and almonds. Place in your desired loaf tin - mine's approx 21cm/13cm.  Bake on 180 deg conventional - I guess that would be 160 deg fan (I don't have this luxury at the moment as our fan oven is broken - we've had it fixed once and it's gone again so have given up for the moment!) or Gas No4 (but I've never used a gas oven so you'd have to double check!) for 45-50 minutes.


A picture of Almond and Raisin Tea Loaf



It's not overly sweet as I've tried to lessen the sugar (although the raisins compensate for this) and does have a slightly firmer (ooh matron!) consistency than a standard cake type thing (must be just the one egg) but tastes lovely sliced up and spread with a bit of butter with a good strong cuppa!

What's been lurking at the back of your kitchen cupboard lately?


Jen x


PS. Apologies ... I appear to have had a 'Carry On' moment or two there!



8 comments:

  1. It looks lovely Jenny:) Have a good week!
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne hope you had a good one too! xx

      Delete
  2. Oh Jenny you always sound like you have a lot of fun in whatever you do!! Your cake sounds fab, I'm not sure anything lurking at the back of my fridge would edible at all!

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just a bit a bit of a nutter I guess Helen! xx

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious & I also have a random pack of almonds in the cupboard! Planning a baking day on Saturday so this could be a breakfast idea for the week ahead! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...