Wednesday 24 April 2013

'London Baby!' & Daniel Sandler Make-Up Masterclass!

Bonjour!

About this London thing then...I'd booked myself a rare treat of attending Daniel Sandler's Make-Up Masterclass, run by The Simon Seminars at the London College of Fashion near Oxford Circus - Saturday 13th April. We decided to take the kids down for a whirlwind trip - and whirlwind it was ...!

Left crack of dawn Friday morning - (I didn't sleep much the night before - always worry that I'll not hear the alarm and we'll miss our chosen method of transport!).  Turns out I wasn't the only one who didn't get her full quota of sleep ... my little girl started to write her diary page whilst on the train and this was the result (with her permission to publish the pic of course!) which had us in stitches ...


That afternoon we somehow managed to visit three museums one after the other (not at all tiring but when in Rome etc) and then met up with my brother Mike (who had the night off gigs!) for the rest of the evening and some dinner.

Amidst all the madness I'd not had time to paint my nails before travelling down but brought my polish with me so - the middle of the night saw me crouched on the bathroom floor against the bath with my new Barry M Gelly - trying to do a fairly neat paint job in the most awkward of positions! I couldn't sleep as the heating thingy in the room was so bloomin' loud and the bed was one of those squishy ones that rustle every time you move! Off I went back to bed with my newly painted nails and the resolve to wear my specs the next morning to try to conceal my inevitable bags and dark circles from no sleep!

I was actually the first to arrive at the venue (friends of mine will be reeling in total disbelief!). We watched Mr Sandler create various make-up looks designed for 'real women'. Part 1 of the demo was aimed at  natural 'daytime' make-up to help us look 'younger and healthier'. First up was a soft smokey 'everyday' eye look using an eye pencil - building up the look gradually. Next was a subtle contoured eye using a shimmer eyeshadow (yes - older girls can wear shimmer too according to Mr Sandler - we just have to be careful where we apply!) - in this case it was restricted to the lash line and just below the brow bone - with a taupe shadow applied in the socket.



















A couple of pics from the session - on the left is the lovely Gina Potter having her soft daytime smokey eye  done. Gina is a 'Kicker of Bowel Cancer's Butt' - and played a pivotal role in the organisation of the event. Inspirational or what!  On the right is Daniel's friend and QVC model Isabella having her shimmer/taupe eye shadow blended - I have my eye on that palette in Mr Sandler's hand!

We then had a short break during which I got to say hello to Mr Sandler (complete with a hug!) and then proceeded to the second half of the session which had more of an 'evening-time' air about it to help us look  'sensational but not over-made up'. First up was a lesson in contouring where the message was to (within reason) apply as much product as you want as long as you 'blend, blend, blend!' - this was then teamed with a bright pink lip. Finally Gina's 'daytime' look was 'smoked up'  - which included adding eye-shadow (keeping the darkest colour to the outer corner of the eye) and grey eye-liner.

It was fascinating to watch and Mr Sandler made it look so easy! We all received a lovely goody bag ... here's mine...!



Daniel Sandler Long Lasting Waterproof Eyeliner in Grey Velvet
Daniel Sandler Eye Delight in Peach
Daniel Sandler Concealer Brush
Urban Retreat 'The Hydration Mist'
Urban Retreat 'Shaving Gel for Girls'

So - cheers to Mr Sandler, Gina and of course Mr Simon Seminar (Mr Simon Vallance!) It was a lovely event (despite the fact that I had one of the worst bad hair days in my huge history of 'bad hair days' and poor Mr Sandler must have thought he was talking to a scarecrow - but hey - we live and learn and that's another blog post in the making!).  I've taken loads of tips away with me (few of which I've actually had time to put into practise yet mind!) Sorry Daniel - I'll let you know how I get on with that purple eye-shadow suggestion at some stage!  There are more pics from the event - taken by Gina's hubby - over on The Simon Seminars website - here! Feel free to have a browse!

Right - apologies that I've waffled on even more than normal but honestly I could go on all night - but of course I won't - really going now! See ya!


Jen x

16 comments:

  1. Pre-dinner reading your blog, how did you lot manage to get through three museums in one day???? You must have been race-walking!!! :o) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Andrea - I was exhausted by the evening! xx

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had a fab time. I will have to look out to see if Daniel Sandler does more of these events. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Alice - I think there may be plans to hold another event - you'd love it! xx

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great day - I'm very jel - as they say! I'm glad we can wear a bit of shimmer as I still do - just a touch! Hope you werent too shattered when you got back. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a great experience Claire! Good job re the shimmer shadow - I have loads of them to use! We were all shattered but comes with the territory I guess! xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds so good! Love your daughter's diary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep was a good 'do' Gaelle - diary is fab isn't it - bless her! xx

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an amazing day, glad you enjoyed it and what a great goody bag! I'd love to have seen the nail paint jobbie! ha ha !!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Sharron - the goody bag's great! Actually I was amazed the nails turned out ok - can you believe it? xx

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a fantastic day! I'd love to go to one of these! x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try to get to one if you can Evelyn - you'd love it! xx

      Delete
  7. Oh Jenny! I'm so excited reading this! Gina is one of my friends and she tried her best to convince me to come along to the day but the costs of flying over were too much by the time I priced it. Daniel seems like a lovely guy and I saw some close ups of Gina's make-up and it was stunning. So lovely you were there and got to meet everyone too. I'll send this link to Gina on FB. Avril x
    PS love the diary entry...too funny x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a small world Avril! I've nothing but admiration for Gina! Shame you couldn't come - would have been lovely to have met you - maybe another time? Daniel is fab - a really nice chap and yes - Gina's make-up looked amazing! xx

      Delete
  8. Looks like this was a really good trip. All those museum's must have been tiring but worth it I'm sure :-) M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was M and yes I was shattered after all that museum activity! xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...